Riverton South Australia
The Heart of the Gilbert Valley
Riverton, established in 1856, is the largest town in the Gilbert Valley, with a history based around the development of the Railway line to Burra in 1869.
Only a 90 minute drive from Adelaide, Riverton, a town of gentle charm and history, is set among rolling hills and valleys, in an area growing and developing with a rich culture of hospitality.
Steeped in agricultural history, Riverton owes it's establishment to inn-keeper and pastoralist James Masters who settled in the 1840's, his flocks occupying several thousand acres in the valley.
With many original buildings and cottages, the town features many examples of early architecture, evident along tree-lined streets that dominate the township,
This delightful town continues to thrive as the commercial centre of a rich farming district with the local community active in preserving many of its significant heritage buildings.